Sunday, July 10, 2011

2011 book 176

Nevil Shute's A Town Like Alice
I haven't read this book in years--not since I started this blog in 2004, anyway--but it's always been one of my favorites (and that didn't change this time around). I've read it several times but only ever remember the first quarter of it well--because really it's a stunning story (in that it leaves you feeling stunned). For those who have never read it, it's the story of one Jean Paget--one of the bravest, cleverest, and funniest women in literature--and her experiences as one of a group of women and children on a forced march by the Japanese during WWII (based on the experiences of a similar group in Sumatra). That's only the first part though--what happens to her afterward, as narrated by her somewhat elderly and very British lawyer, is somehow just as compelling. And surprisingly romantic.

__
I feel I should mention that this book was written in 1950 and thus contains some fairly racist/colonial terminology. It doesn't make the story any less great, but makes for some slightly uncomfortable moments for the modern reader.

5 comments:

ahartsell said...

I had no idea you liked this book. It's one of my favorites! You and I so have similar tastes :) Have you seen the tv miniseries with Bryan Brown? It aired on PBS a long time ago. My mom and I used to re-watch the miniseries on vhs every summer. Unfortunately it's never been released on dvd.

Alicia K. said...

How has this never come up in all the time we've been talking about books??? Yes, this is one of my favorites as well, but I had no idea there was a miniseries. So bummed that it's not on DVD.

Alicia K. said...

Oh, but there's a 1956 movie version on Netflix instant--I may have to watch that.

ahartsell said...

I don't know. I've so rarely known anyone else who has read it, so I usually don't mention it when talking about books. Have you read some of his other stuff? I remember some of his other stuff being a little boring, but I did like Trustee from the Tool Room. The miniseries sticks fairly close to the book, so it's worth seeing. I've never seen the 1956 film version. I may have to watch that too!

Alicia K. said...

I started another book by him once, but yeah, I couldn't get into it. It was more military-focused, if I recall.

I'll definitely try and watch the miniseries, if I can figure out a way. :)