Saturday, August 13, 2011

2011 book 205

Nina Revoyr's Wingshooters
I really liked Revoyr's The Age of Dreaming so figured I'd check this book out--it's about a half-Japanese girl in the 1970s who ends up living with her grandparents in a very white Wisconsin town, and what happens when a black couple moves to the area. There is an extremely awesome dog--an English Springer Spaniel, like the awesome dog I had when I was a kid--and of course something terrible happens to it (I HATE when bad things happen to animals in books--it always feels like a deliberate choice by the writer to make readers cry, and not at all natural). Anyway, it's fairly over-written--too many emotions and things spelled out by the narrator looking back on her childhood--and the end is more than a little melodramatic. And I just can't get past the dog thing. B/B-.

No comments: