Wednesday, September 21, 2011

2011 book 243

Shannon Hale's Princess Academy
Amazon kept recommending books by Hale to me, and I knew I recognized the name but couldn't find any record of her on this blog. So a click on Amazon and I realized--she (along with her husband) wrote the awesome graphic novel Rapunzel's Revenge! And since this was also a Newbery Honor book, it seemed worth a read. And it was a super cute MG book where all the girls in a small rock quarrying village are sent to Princess Academy to be trained on lady-ship, since some priests have decreed that the prince is destined to marry a girl from there. Our protagonist, Miri, has always felt small and useless, but discovers some of her talents while there. I definitely saw some of the plot twists coming, but hey, this is an MG book. And it was entertaining enough that it really didn't matter anyway. A.

No comments: