Wednesday, January 18, 2012

2012 book 16

Carola Dunn's Gone West: A Daisy Dalrymple Mystery
Maybe it's my love for Downton Abbey talking, but I really enjoyed this mystery, about a sharp young(ish?) woman helping solve a crime in 1920s England. This is actually the most recent in what seems to be a long-running series--I haven't read the others (though now want to), but didn't feel like I was missing anything crucial. So our lead Daisy is approached by an old school friend, currently working as a ghostwriter for a successful author who's fallen ill--only she suspects he's being poisoned, and wants Daisy to come take a look. Since this is a mystery, things quickly get more complicated, and I enjoyed every second of it, was surprised by most of it, and loved all the characters (and the gender/class issues they raised--ah, 1920s!). Solid, solid read. I'll definitely be checking out the rest of the series. A/A-.

No comments: