Tuesday, November 22, 2016

2016 book 186

Una LaMarche's You In Five Acts
I only feel a little bit bad admitting that I only wanted to read this because Lin-Manuel Miranda mentioned it on Twitter (apparently he and the author are friends from college) and thus it became this year's selection for Thanksgiving Sister Book Club. It was a pretty solid read--it's about five teens at a performing arts high school, told from each POV, leading up to some terrible act. The foreshadowing, especially early on, is way too heavy handed, and the nature of the act is not super hard to guess--but otherwise the writing is actually really good, and I found Joy in particular to be a compelling character. The end was a bit too cheesy/melodramatic for me but I can see how it would appeal to an actual teen. B/B+.

No comments: