Friday, February 17, 2017

2017 book 29

Scarlett Thomas' Dragon's Green
Sometimes when an author who normally writes for adults writes a book aimed at a younger audience, it feels majorly dumbed down--and I was not sure how Thomas, whose books are somewhat eccentric, would pull it off. But I should not have doubted an author I love, because this was GREAT. It's a middle grade fantasy full of magic, friendship, villains, annoying relatives, and best of all: BOOKS. I feel like most of these pieces are familiar to fans of middle grade fiction, but Thomas puts them together in a really smart way. It centers on a girl whose mother vanished after a mysterious worldquake (which wiped out the internet!!), and . . . well, I am not going to get anywhere with a plot summary, except to say magical adventures are afoot, an entire library needs to be rescued, the characters here are charming, and Thomas has set a lot of things in motion to sustain a series. A series I am VERY much looking forward to reading. VERY MUCH. A/A-.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in May.

No comments: