Sunday, April 23, 2017

2017 book 73

J. Courtney Sullivan's Saints for All Occasions
Sullivan's latest is fine, though not my favorite of her books--it doesn't have that special spark to distinguish it from every other book about a complicated family with secrets. Also, it ended just when it was getting interesting! I did like the look at the mid-century Irish immigrant community in Boston, but the generation after felt a lot more generic (I guess I appreciated the nods to diversity, but I wished to see more from those characters). I also thought the descriptions of the cloistered convent where one character lives were pretty interesting. But like I said. It ended just where I was finally getting into it! The plot and characters just felt underdeveloped. I think this will be popular with book clubs though. B.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on May 9th.


No comments: