Sunday, May 27, 2018

2018 book 87

Hannah Pittard's Visible Empire
I think Pittard's latest is not my FAVORITE of her novels, but it is still a very GOOD one. Apparently inspired by true events, it’s set in Atlanta 1962, where a large chunk of the city's rich philanthropist types have all just died in a plane crash on their way home from a group trip to Paris. The novel does a great job of evoking that sort of thick southern summer, and does a good job with racial tensions of the time. There are several POV characters, and some were more compelling than others (I loved the dialogue between the mayor and his wife; I did not care about the newspaperman whose mistress died, but thought his wife was very interesting; more could have been done with a young black man, etc). I did like how most of the story threads came together, this just didn’t entirely grab me. B+.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on June 5th.

No comments: