Tuesday, February 12, 2019

2019 book 23

Taylor Jenkins Reid's Daisy Jones and the Six
After reading several of this author's previous works, I was prepared for another fun read--but she straight up busts out a novel in the oral history format, chronicling the rise (and fall) of a 70s rock band! This isn't the first oral-history-of-a-band novel I've read (cf Elizabeth Hand's Wylding Hall, which is going for something different), but it is probably the first to sort of be in the mainstream.
Anyway, it's awesome. I did not want to put it down at all. Jenkins Reid does a great job with the characterizations, the different voices, the conflicting memories, the ladies dealing with sexism, and of course the sex drugs and rock and roll. I think I might quibble about the VERY end, but on the whole I thought this was great. A/A-.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be available in March.

No comments: