Sunday, May 10, 2020

2020 book 94

Hannah Abigail Clarke's The Scapegracers
As I have previously mentioned on this blog, I am here for books about queer teen witches, and this one has a slammin' cover to boot, so I was psyched for it. The action starts when the resident lesbian outcast is invited to make some magic at a pre-Halloween party, after which the resident popular girl clique adopts her. So that is a mildly interesting trope to throw into a queer teen witch story. Those girls felt particularly unreal though, like I kept wondering if the big reveal would be that they were imaginary or ghosts or something. I was more interested in the protagonist and her family and her magic books. Of course this is a YA book, so obviously the intended audience cares more about glamorous teens than gay dads with an antique shop. This book also goes some darker places than I expected. A lot is left unresolved, so I guess a sequel is forthcoming? I will probably read it; I enjoyed the narrative voice here a lot. B+.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on Tuesday.

No comments: