Sunday, July 19, 2020

2020 book 132

Aimee Bender's The Butterfly Lampshade
I haven’t had the patience for literary fiction for a while now (pandemic and all), but I remember really liking Bender's The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, so figured I'd give her new one a try. It’s centered on a young woman recalling three bizarre/supernatural events of her childhood, and also remembering her journey from the time her mentally ill mother is hospitalized to when she arrives at her aunt and uncle's house to live with them and their new baby. I am not really sure how I felt about this? It’s beautifully written, but I wanted a little bit more from the conclusion, or maybe the conclusion was just right? It's a lovely and meditative (and kind of confusing) novel, which is just not where my mood is right now. B+.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on July 28th.

No comments: