Monday, June 14, 2021

2021 book 131

 Zen Cho's Black Water Sister

I’ve really enjoyed all the other stuff I’ve read by Cho, but this one didn’t one hundred percent work for me. It’s about a recent Harvard grad who moves to Malaysia with her parents (who are from there) and realizes she’s being haunted by her recently deceased grandmother, who is determined to protect a temple from corrupt developers. Only maybe there’s more going on? I did like all the supernatural stuff with the gods and their mediums, and I loved the family dynamics, but the plot was kind of … not there? So parts of this were just reallllllyyyy sloooooow. It felt really repetitive. And the whole secret girlfriend thing was way underdeveloped. I will still read whatever Cho writes next, this just wasn’t my favorite. B/B+.


No comments: