Saturday, February 03, 2024

2024 book 23

 James McBride's The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store

I didn’t purposely read this during Black History Month (I actually assumed I’d finish it while it was still January, but this week ended up being busy), but it was certainly an appropriate pick! It centers on a bunch of the residents of a small town in Pennsylvania during the 1930s, particularly a Black couple and a Jewish couple trying to protect a little Black boy from being institutionalized. But there are plenty of other characters in the mix (obviously I loved Chona and Addie, but I was partial to Paper). Great atmosphere here, the neighborhood really feels vivid. Parts of this are pretty grim, though, and parts were a little slow. Still, definitely worth being on all the 2023 best-of lists! A/A-.

No comments: