Tuesday, August 18, 2009

2009 book 172

Scott Westerfeld's Uglies
I love me some YA dystopias, and since I'm still waiting for Catching Fire to come out, I figured I'd start a new series with a similar take on things. In this book, when people turn 16, they undergo an operation to make them "pretties" (though it's a little more sinister than just making them hotter). Our teen girl protagonist longs for the day when she'll stop being an ugly, but then makes a friend who has other plans--to run away and join a secret civilization of people who haven't had the operation. Our protagonist isn't interested, until the powers that be blackmail her into finding the secret city before they'll turn her pretty. Things progress pretty much as you'd expect, but it's a good read nonetheless, and I'll be reading the two sequels for sure. A-.

No comments: