Monday, August 24, 2009

2009 book 173

Juan Gabriel Garcia's The Informers
I've always considered myself someone w/ a generally intellectual/literary taste in books (barring the guilty pleasure reads we all enjoy), but this one defeated me. It started strong--a young man in Colombia writes a book about a family friend who fled the Nazis in the 1930s, and his father writes a scathing review. So there's Jewish stuff, and great dysfunctional family stuff. And the dad dies, and secrets will be revealed! Only the family friend just talks and talks and tells totally boring and seemingly unrelated stories and by the time the secrets are revealed I didn't even care and was barely reading. Is this a bad translation? Or am I just not the intellectual type anymore?

In other news, I agree w/ Jezebel that Betsy-Tacy is the best series ever. My mom loved them too!

No comments: