Friday, August 14, 2009

2009 books 166 and 167

Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty
Set in the Victorian Era, this YA fantasy deals with a young girl who discovers a world of magic and power, and then gets sent to boarding school, where she and her friends go to magical realms and get in trouble and stuff. It was extremely predictable. B-.

Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife
Ok, I know I read this, like, a week ago, but it was still sitting on my nightstand, and the other night I wanted to look this one part up and ended up rereading a good chunk of it from the beginning, then last ngiht I finished my other book (see above) and wanted to read something else, but the cat was so cutely asleep across my legs that my choices were pretty limited to whatever was within reach. Namely, this. And I still stayed up way too late rereading it, proving once again my lack of reading-related self-control. I mean, seriously, I jsut read this, like, a week ago! I knew exactly what was going to happen next! And yet I was still compelled to finish it. And I still cried at various ending scenes.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to see the movie. I did have hopes it would be ok, but it's getting dreadful reviews.

No comments: