Sunday, August 23, 2020

2020 book 162

 Naomi Novik's A Deadly Education

 AAAAHHHHHHHH this is everything I ever WANT in a book!! I mean I assumed I would like it bc it’s by Novik, but I loooooooved it. It’s narrated by a surly girl in an extremely dangerous MAGIC SCHOOL, and she is a secretly powerful loner, but eventually she makes friends and has dangerous magical school adventures, and also the resident hero boy is hanging around. It reminded me of a less queer In Other Lands or Carry On. The protagonist is half-Indian and two prominent secondary characters are Indian and East Asian, and there's lots of diversity rep in the more minor characters. Best of all, this is the first in a series and it ends on a dramatic note that makes me very eager to see what'll happen next. Ugh, I cannot properly convey the entertaining awesomeness of this book, but I am very sad I can’t read the whole series right now.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in September.

No comments: