Monday, August 24, 2020

2020 book 164

 Lois McMaster Bujold’s Barrayar

This is actually the seventh book in the Vorkosigan series, but since it picks up where the first one leaves off, I decided to read it second. Maybe I should have left it for later though, because I felt like there were some continuity issues (particularly with the character of the sergeant). Anyway, I still love Cordelia, and this is full of political intrigue and assassination attempts and worrying about a pregnancy on a less-scientifically-advanced planet. Also still a fair amount of discussion of rape/rapiness, like, PLEASE STOP. In retrospect this is really more of a “heroic/magical backstory to the actual main character of the series” and not necessarily “badass lady doing stuff” kind of story. I mean a badass lady does DO stuff, but    only because of her kid. On the other hand, how often does a mom get to be badass for mom reasons? Is this retrograde or not? I honestly can’t tell. B+.

No comments: