Tuesday, February 16, 2021

2021 book 41

 Kate Milford's The Raconteur's Commonplace Book

I was in one of those moods where nothing I started seemed good, and nothing appealed, and then I gave this a try and the narrative voice grabbed me right away. This is set in Milford's Greenglass House universe, but I never remember the details of those (I should really reread them) and this works fine on its own. It involves a mysterious cast of characters stranded in an inn during a rainstorm, so they all start telling stories (yes, this is basically Canterbury Tales for the middle grade set). But do the stories have a point beyond entertainment? And what secrets are the guests hiding? I admit that I got a few of the minor older male characters confused, but the rest of the characters are amazing and I found this a very satisfying read. A/A-.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on February 23rd.

No comments: