Sunday, December 04, 2022

2022 book 213

 Andrea K. Host's And All the Stars

I decided a YA sci-fi stand-alone would be a good palate cleanser after being immersed in a series, and it served its purpose. Things start very abruptly just after an alien invasion of dust that kills lots of people, gives some superpowers, and turns others into basically slaves. Our protagonist is a teen girl, an artist, who ends up banding together with some other teens for survival…and eventually, they plan to fight back. Once things got going I was into it, very action packed if occasionally overly dramatic. I wasn’t super invested in the romance (the main characters are straight but a bunch of the secondary characters are queer). But great friendships here! I do think the “five years later” epilogue actually weakened things, or at least I didn’t find it particular necessary or interesting. B+.

No comments: