Monday, May 01, 2023

2023 book 71

 Janet Edwards' Earth Girl

This is set like 700 years in the future, where humanity mainly lives on far-off planets, but some babies are born allergic to the atmosphere and have to be shipped off to live on Earth, and they get called things like “apes.” Our protagonist is one such teen girl, and decides to stick it to ‘em by applying to an off-world university whose first year takes place on Earth (she’s a huge history/archaeology nerd and I’m here for it), with the big plan to eventually say like “I’m an ape and y’all can suck it” and then transfer. Lol. But of course she loves her program, and makes friends, and is lying about her background, and it all starts to get very complicated. I loved the narrative voice; I am a sucker for smart but snarky and slightly sad teen girls telling their stories in the first person (maybe the only YA I love?). This is also amazingly action-packed for a book about a history nerd. I really liked this and have already purchased the sequel. A/A-.

No comments: