Sunday, May 21, 2023

2023 book 89

 Alexis Hall's Mortal Follies

I don’t always love Alexis Hall's stuff, but his latest was pretty fun! It’s narrated by Puck, for some reason, and he’s telling the story of a young woman in the Regency Era who's been cursed, and she teams up with a suspected sorceress/murderess to try and figure out who cursed her and how to break the curse, with the help of her biracial gay cousin and her adorable and hilarious best friend. But also sparks are flying between the main character and the sorceress! I did love the narrative voice here (I mean, it’s Puck, lol) but some of the characters are pretty flat and some of the dialogue is ehhh. I will say this story had some truly unexpected moments and I really liked how it wrapped up. A-/B+.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on June 6th.

No comments: