Tuesday, July 30, 2024

2024 book 127

 Casey McQuiston's The Pairing

I will admit the description didn't make me excited to read this book, but I was sucked in by the writing as soon as I started. I actually am going to be vaguer than usual, because I enjoyed all the little plot reveals along the way, but the story involves childhood best friends and young adult couple Theo and Kit, who had a messy breakup in their mid-20s, and now four years later, find themselves on the same food-and-wine tour in Europe. And despite CLEARLY still having feelings for each other, they're sweet horny dummies who just can’t figure it out. There is an aggravating plot where they have a half-hearted hookup contest and I’m just like, can you please figure your shit out already?? This is all balanced by LOTS of descriptions of food and wine, which I was here for. I ended up thinking this was super cute and look forward to whatever McQuiston does next (a novel about one of the side characters here, according to an interview I read!). A/A-.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on Tuesday.


No comments: