Wednesday, August 11, 2004

magazine reading

i finally read the new(ish) issue of heeb this afternoon (after experimenting w/ chapel hill buses and before a nap--how nice to have some time to myself!). i really enjoy this magazine--the photo-essay on guilt was pretty great, as is the "whole megillah" section. the cover article (on jewish guilt) kind of dropped the ball, though, and steve almond's short story was eh. still, i am a big fan of this magazine--except, of course, for the name, which makes me cringe every time i buy it or mention it. i'm just not the sort of person who thinks reclaiming racial slurs and making them hip is a good idea. not that i could think of a better name, but ugh.

sorry for the lack of book postings--i've been saving the few books i have piled up for the flight to pittsburgh. i always get to the airport two hours early, in case of security snafus, and then generally get to spend the time reading and relaxing pre-flight (except when the security guards feel the need to grope me to see if my boobs are real, or are perhaps secretly bionic weapons, and then my reading time is significantly less).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I mention I've joined Homeland Security and have been authorized to conduct random security checks? (MIke)

Alicia K. said...

*scold* don't make me tell your wife you said that!

heh, that was pretty funny, actually.

Anonymous said...

haha, yeah that was inappropriate. Primarily because a Canadian really shouldn't be hired to do Homeland Security for the US.

Alicia K. said...

for security purposes, i will inform my readers that my "girls" (as my mom calls them) are real, and i am not smuggling small arms or puppies.

but really, homeland security could probably use your help. i think most americans figure canadians are just americans who say "aboot" sometimes. aren't we terrible?

Anonymous said...

I have to say that after 5 years of ribbing I've come to the realization that Canadians don't actually say "aboot" at all... We say "aboat" -- like you take a boat across the lake. Seriously, watch virtually any show on the Sci-fi channel, or Dead Like Me, or any other production filmed in Vancouver and you'll notice it right away. Now where did my Molsen go, eh?

Alicia K. said...

wordnerdy . . . when you want to know about correct pronunciations, you come here!

thank you for educating me and my two other readers!