Monday, March 13, 2006

2006 book 36

kate dicamillo's the miraculous journey of edward tulane
i debated whether or not to count this as a book--it's a kid's book, with illustrations and all--but since it hits page 195 (tecnhically), i figure it's long enough to count. i would have written about it even if it was shorter though, b/c i loooved it! not just b/c the main character is a toy rabbit (made out of fancy china) and i was a kid who was surrounded by toy rabbits (the titular edward reminded me of my own beloved colonel buttons), but b/c it seriously made me bawl. more than once. i am going to venture to say that it's the best kid's book i've read since sharon creech's love that dog, which also makes me bawl. anyway, the story isn't wholly spectacular--it's about this snotty toy rabbit who ends up going overboard and has lots of life experiences (or whatever) and learns to love, and the ending is inevitable--but still, there i was bawling. the illustrations are really nice too, by the way, if you care about that sort of thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, um... i just wanted to say thanks for this book and author. i guess i'm a pretty nostalgic type on the whole - that's probably why i'm reading a blog from the triangle in the first place - and this was a wonderful book for reminding me of old fairy tales and southern short stories read and written. i can't wait 'til my little one is big enough to read it. thanks. - dah

ps you probably hate this kind of comment, but since you gave me something nice here's my favorite book along the lines of home and place and love. you probably already know it - Robert Olen Butler's A Good Scent From A Strange Mountain.

Alicia K. said...

i've never read that--thank you for the tip. and thanks for reading my blog. :)