Thursday, September 11, 2008

2008 book 139

Noel Streatfeild's Ballet Shoes
I was home sick today and, between naps, watched the 2007 movie of Ballet Shoes, starring Emma Watson from Harry Potter (and some other familiar faces), which is based on one of my favorite books from childhood. Unfortunately it was a really awful version, with lots of stupid subplots shoehorned in for the adults, and much elss focus on the children--and I always think the children and their relationships are the point of the book. So of course I had to reread it! I loved Streatfeild's books when I was younger (and still do) and think it's a shame so many are out of print. Luckily I still have my old copies (though this one is actually falling apart) and can keep enjoying them. For those who haven't read it, it's the story of three adopted girls in 1930s London who get involved in the theater, partially for love of it, and partially to earn money for their family, since their paleontologist breadwinner has been gone for years. Totally a classic.

No comments: