Monday, September 22, 2008

2008 book 147

Philip Pullman's The Ruby in the Smoke
I was excited to see that Masterpiece would be showing versions of this and its sequel, since I remember really liking the books--but last night's episode was really disappointing! For one thing, there was a little too much plot to cram into 90 minutes, and for another, they made Sally into a total wuss. I reread the book just to verify my memories that she was basically a bad-ass, and though in this first one she's just a kid caught up in a crazy mystery, she's still smart, capable, and self-assured. The move version is totally wishy-washy, wandering around waiting to be rescued. Ugh. At least she looked slightly more bad-ass in the previews for next week. I think I'll reread the whole trilogy and its companion while I wait!

No comments: