Friday, February 13, 2009

great comics

I spent the afternoon going through my many boxes of comics and trying to organize them a little; as a reward, I've been rereading two of my all-time favorite series, Castle Waiting and Bone. They're also both pretty steady sellers at the comic book store--Bone is especially popular w/ the 6-8 set, but almost-30-year-old me enjoys it quite a bit too. :) If you're ever looking for something to read, you can't go wrong with either of those series--Bone finished its run a long time ago, but has been coming out again in color more recently, and Castle Waiting is an ongoing series that has a few different collected editions (I especially like this one, which collects the first couple of mini-series and looks like a classic fairy tale).

Now I'm getting ready for a geek night in--Dollhouse and BSG!

7 comments:

js said...

yes! hopefully dollhouse is as good as firefly and won't suffer the same fate.

Alicia K. said...

Well, that wasn't the strongest pilot ever, but I'll watch again. I mean, Joss Whedon rules.

js said...

actually, as pilots go, i thought it was pretty good! it always takes me a while to get into a show, buy into its internal logic, etc., and i was pretty hooked. eliza dushku was less annoying in that role than i thought she'd be. and olivia williams--god bless her for not getting work done!

js said...

p.s. apparently that wasn't even the pilot! this is sounding more and more like the firefly debacle:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/ghost,23794/

Alicia K. said...

I was not super impressed w/ Eliza Dushku trying to play a hostage negotiator (and thought the twist of "she's been imprinted w/ someone who was kidnapped by this exact same guy!!!!" was really dumb) but read some interview w/ Whedon where he said things don't really hit their stride for a few episodes--so I'll stick with it. I liked the characters for the most part and the premise is definitely interesting.

js said...

yeah, she was not convincing as a hostage negotiator.

ha, yeah, the thing about saving the girl was so whedonesque. there's this moment where olivia williams has decided that it's more expedient to cut their losses and turn their backs on the mission, but echo manages to convince her. you'd think that in the BSG universe, laura roslin would be like, "we can't risk it. let's get the hell outta here."

btw, re: bsg, how about john hodgman as the surgeon!

Alicia K. said...

Yeah, he brought a nice bit of humor to the scenes!

Of course, if you followed me back on Twitter, you'd have known I commented on that already. :)