Tuesday, April 20, 2010

2010 book 102

Sandra Kring's How High the Moon
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this going in--it's about a little girl growing up in the summer of 1955, and her dialogue is a little bit annoying at first (seriously, one of her speeches takes three Kindle pages to get through) though actually I liked her narrative voice. Anyway, her mother has abandoned her to be raised by an ex-boyfriend while she pursues her Hollywood dreams, and the little girl is forced to participate in a Big Sister-Little Sister summer program aimed to teach her to be more respectable, where she's paired with the most popular teenager in town. Things go about how you'd expect, though I will say that a pair of prostitutes really liven the story up, but by the end I was wholeheartedly into the story and even got a little teary. A-.

No comments: