Monday, August 06, 2012

2012 book 208

Michael Underwood's Geekomancy
For someone who loooves pop culture as much as I do, you'd think pop culture references would never get old--and reading a book that's all about Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Princess Bride, and spends a page and a half discussing the joys of Community, should be way up my alley. But it had some of the same problems Ready Player One had for me--eventually, all those references get tiresome and feel shoehorned-in, and also, the action scenes in both books were really not that interesting to me. I just wanted the fight scenes to be over and for the plot to commence.

All that and I haven't even mentioned the plot, which focuses on a likable geek girl who works in a comic shop-slash-coffee shop (again, this should be right up my alley) and discovers a world of magic where geeks can get geek powers from geek media (ie, sword-fighting abilities from Princess Bride). Great concept. And like I said, likable protagonist (and her crew of girl friends were cool too). The overarching plot was a little weak and two major twists were easy to predict, but it was a fun read. Not really my thing, but recommended for those geekier than I. B.



__
A review copy was provided by the publisher.

No comments: