Wednesday, July 03, 2013

2013 book 184

Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn
Normally I'm not really interested in the Humble Bundle offerings, but this time, THIS was one of the bonuses. Yes, I paid 10 bucks for 5 e-books I don't care about just to own this one, because The Last Unicorn is my all-time favorite movie, since I was a little girl, and discovering there was a NOVEL in college remains one of the highlights of my life. (I have seen the movie so many times that I hear the lines of dialogue as said by the all-star voice cast: Mia Farrow, Jeff Bridges, Alan Arkin, etc.) (I also own the soundtrack, featuring songs by the band America.) Plus, this e-book version has the sequel novella, featuring the main characters from the novel along with a pretty great girl trying to save her village from a griffin. Ah, Last Unicorn. I think even if I hadn't grown up completely in love with the story, I'd still love it for its cleverness, action, friendships, and general bittersweet air. Always an A.

No comments: