Saturday, July 06, 2013

2013 book 187

Suzanne Collins' Gregor the Overlander
I've meant to check out Collins' pre-Hunger-Games series for a long time, but it was never really a high priority; then a friend who's been reading them with her 8-year-old said I should give them a try. So I did! No surprise, the plotting is great, and I even found myself emotionally invested in a couple of giant cockroaches (and let me tell you, I f-ing HATE cockroaches), so even in these early days, Collins has a way with a story. This one, the first in the Underland Chronicles, finds a boy and his toddler sister whisked away to the Underland, a world full of purple-eyed people who ride around on giant bats. Soon he's off on a quest to fulfill a prophecy and maybe find his missing father--isn't that always the case in these kinds of books? Like I said, it's pretty solid and my complaints were minor (things are overly simplistic sometimes, but this is a middle-grade book), but that may be because the toddler sister was awesome and made everything else seem awesome too. B+.

PS The real reason I read this now is that it's $1.99 for Kindle this month!

No comments: