Tuesday, March 04, 2014

2014 book 52

Seanan McGuire's Half-Off Ragnarok
The third book in McGuire's Incryptids series--about a family who protects mythological creatures from people, and vice versa--changes things up a little by focusing on a new character--Verity's brother Alex. I've been hoping McGuire would expand the world to include more of the family, so appreciated knowing more about Alex and their grandparents, but this one wasn't as strong for me. The main plot--something is petrifying people and Alex has to figure out what it is--was kind of weak, and it was pretty easy to figure out who the bad guy was. I did like the new characters in this one, particularly Charmi (a snake-girl) and Dee (a gorgon), but was not really feeling Alex's girlfriend and their relationship. I mean, this was entertaining, just not as awesome as I'd hoped it would be. B/B+.

No comments: