Saturday, October 18, 2014

2014 book 245

Alan Bradley's As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust
UGHHHH, I was so excited about this series after the ending of the last one, but this was a major disappointment. I mean, Flavia DOES go to spy school, but on her very first night finds a dead body in the chimney in her bedroom, and this becomes another one of the books where a 12-year-old girl wanders around, gathers small bits of information, then, voila, solves a mystery. It's just not FUN! Especially when there are only like three suspects, who of course Flavia just happens to know. I wanted to see her get trained as a spy! Instead, she gets no straight answers from anyone about anything. It seems to be a very inefficient kind of spy school. And then the end . . . sigh. I might be done with this series.
How do you rate a book that is perfectly adequate, but a personal disappointment? B? B-?

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in January.

2 comments:

Patty said...

Whew, I thought I was the only one who felt this way about this book! I just finished it and was so disappointed.

Alicia K. said...

I know!! The spy school premise was SO promising and Bradley did nothing with it! Going back to the same old small town murder mysteries is just not interesting.