Tuesday, July 07, 2015

2015 book 162

Mary E. Pearson's Heart of Betrayal
The sequel to Kiss of Deception (GOD, these titles are bad) starts off a little bit slowly, but eventually picks up steam and gets pretty good, though I won't go into specifics to avoid spoiling the first one. I will say that I wish there was less of the protagonist pretending to be into kissing guys she doesn't actually like (for political reasons)--it kind of depressed me, and things do get a teensy bit rapey (not actual rape, just threats of rape--not much better). Luckily there are some kisses with the guy she does like to balance things out. Not to mention some really interesting stuff with the religion/history of the various countries in this world--but you know I'm a nerd for that sort of thing! And Pearson does have a way with a cliffhanger. I think this wasn't quite as strong as the first one, but it definitely has me excited to read the third. A-/B+.

No comments: