Saturday, August 01, 2015

2015 book 182

Stephanie Clifford's Everybody Rise
This book is getting a tooooooooon of buzz, but I wasn't really feeling it. It's about a young woman in New York in the early 2000s, the daughter of a social climber who eventually becomes one herself, and gets caught up in a morass of lies while hanging with the uber-rich New York elite. I'm not sure if we're supposed to sympathize with her--I didn't, really--but she's also not really interesting as a villain or as someone who's morally compromising herself. And the ending didn't feel earned, or even optimistic, since it takes place just before the economy goes downhill fast. I'm not entirely sure what the point of this was? But I admit to not really being interested in novels about rich New Yorkers and their hangers-on. B.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on August 18th.

No comments: