Monday, March 05, 2018

2018 book 42

Sarah Rees Brennan's In Other Lands
I sometimes find this author's writing style to be . . . overly mannered? But I had read enough positive reviews of this book--wherein a snarky 13 year old bisexual nerd named Elliot is recruited to a magical land and has fairly hilarious adventures--to want to check it out. And I loved it. I especially liked that the elves in this land are matriarchal warriors, and thus super matronizing (which my sexist computer insists is not a real word) to men, and Elliot totally goes with it constantly. And that Elliot is a pacifist trying to keep the militaristic society--and his friends--from war. And it’s very funny and occasionally  dark and deep.  I did wish Elliot was less dumb about the clearly telegraphed romance, but I loved how it all wrapped up. A/A-.

No comments: