Thursday, April 12, 2018

2018 book 62

Sharon Shinn's Troubled Waters
I enjoyed that other book I read recently by Shinn, so thought I'd check out one of her more recent series, and I liked this a lot. The worldbuilding here is really cool--every person has an affinity for one of the elements, and there's also a whole thing with blessings that  I thought was really interesting. Our protagonist is a young woman who's been living in exile with her father for a decade, but how he's died, and one of the king's advisers has tracked her down to bring her back to the big city. Political machinations and adventures and whatnot ensue, but it didn't feel formulaic to me. There is also a little bit of romance that I was cheering on. I did sometimes wish the protagonist was more savvy but her actions make sense for her character. Anyway, I am looking forward to the next one in this series. A-.

No comments: