Monday, June 08, 2020

2020 book 118

Jo Walton's Lifelode
I wanted to read this because I generally like Walton's novels, it was described as a domestic kind of fantasy (which is what I want to read these days), and it finally became available as an ebook. And it is fairly domestic, or at least the main character is a woman who keeps house at the manor (though she is part of a polycule with its lord), and who also has the power to see things from other times. And things are domestic enough, at least until an ancestor comes home, fleeing an angry goddess. Look, the world and magic are too complicated to explain in a few sentences, but I thought they both worked really well, and I liked the sort of circular storytelling. I did not entirely love the way things wrapped up, though. Definitely left me a bit unsatisfied. B+.

No comments: