Sunday, June 21, 2020

2020 book 124

Julia Quinn's The Duke and I
I wanted to read this bc I’ve read some of Quinn's other books and liked them well enough, and this series will at some point be a Netflix show with a cast I like. It’s a fairly run of the mill historical romance. SHE . . . has seven siblings and no one wants to marry her bc everyone sees her as a friend! HE . . . is a Duke with daddy issues and a past as a stuttering child! Of course a fake courtship will solve various problems for both of them, and of course it will turn real. This has some things I don’t like: cheesiness, insta-lust, growling hero tormented by feelings and occasionally manhandling the heroine, epilogues where happy endings inevitably involve multiple children. It has some things I do like: a cheerful heroine, a boisterous large family, a sense of humor. SADLY this book has a second epilogue that spoiled me as to which other minor characters will get together in future books, which is pretty uncool, bc they were actually the only two minor characters I was interested in! Anyway, B I guess.

No comments: