Monday, August 16, 2021

2021 book 169

 Natania Barron's Queen of None

Honestly, I’m here for all these recent Arthurian stories! This one came out last year, but the library just added it, presumably because of the Green Knight movie: the central figure here is Arthur's youngest sister, Anna, mother of Gawain (plus I think the author is local!). Our story starts with a recently widowed Anna coming to Arthur to give him her husband's crown, but soon she’s become a political pawn yet again. I liked her character a lot, and loved the network of women, but wished some of the other characters (Lancelot, Gawain) were more developed, and definitely thought the back half revenge plot would have benefited from some more build up (though I did like the end). I also wished for one more pass with the proofreader; lots of homonym errors. Content warning for abusive husbands and one rape threat. B+.

No comments: