Saturday, October 16, 2021

2021 book 208

 Freya Marske’s A Marvelous Light

So this was pretty much my jam, being a mashup extraordinaire: a queer historical magical mystery! One hero is assigned a new government job as punishment—the liaison to England’s magical community. Except he did not know magic existed! And now bad dudes are after him (and cursing him) because of something his predecessor did! Enter his magical counterpart (and love interest), a scholarly sort who is like, let’s go to my family house so I can research your curse etc. adventures and romance ensue (honestly I would have liked this a bit more if it was a magical mystery with some romance and not a romance set in a magical mystery). Great characters, interesting families and side characters, mentions of bad ass ladies, totally calls for a sequel (which I assume will involve one of the side characters falling in love while further unraveling things, I’m rooting for it to be one of the women, perhaps the very competent secretary??). A-.

__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on November 2nd.

No comments: