Wednesday, October 12, 2005

nerves

so, it turns out getting electric shocks for two and a half hours kind of sucks. a lot.

for the first hour i composed many amusing blog entries in my head, on topics like: the strengthening of my electrical superpowers, how my hair was going to turn out all crimped like in movies when people get electrocuted, how the resident smelled like my high-school boyfriend. by hour two i was mostly concentrating on not wincing too obviously, and hiding my head under my sweater so the doctors wouldn't see my grimace. by the time it went past two hours of getting shocked (and they had started shocking my leg for some reason that i still don't comprehend) i was openly crying (but trying to be a good sport; i kept telling them it was fine as they shocked me). i esimate that i was given over 150 shocks in my left arm alone.

the good news: the tests were normal so i didn't have to have subsequent tests involving needles and won't have to have surgery. the bad news: i can still feel electricity bouncing around in me, and i'm still confined to the splints and still in a lot of arm pain that's not related to electric shocks.

time for my last meal before the fast: weaver street sushi and cupcake!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

K went through something very similar, and they eventually concentrated on a spot on her elbow in an effort to discern whether or not there was some "nerve blockage" preventing messages from getting sent, or sending bogus messages. It sounded a little like Tom Hanks' braincloud in Joe vs the Volcano... And the doctor (Poplauski) made a statement very similar to "medicine isn't a science" so. (MIke)

Anonymous said...

did they do this b/c they thought you may have nerve damage?

jordon

Alicia K. said...

mike--the elbow ones were the worst! they made my arm flop around like a proverbial dead fish.

jordon--NOOOO, i thought it would be FUN to get electrocuted for an afternoon. yes, they thought there was nerve damage--hence the subject of this entry. but apparently there isn't much nerve damage after all, so i get to live with this awesome pain indefinitely!