Tuesday, December 13, 2005

the horror


thehorror
Originally uploaded by wordnerdy.
what makes a better blog post than a monty python reference? why, embarrassing photos of oneself! (and one's family. hey, if you guys want me to black our your faces or something, i'm happy to oblige.)

christina alerted me to this story on npr, and i really think that's a book i need to read. i mean, just LOOK at what i'm wearing (i'm the awkward-looking one in the middle, bedecked in fake flowers, with heels dyed-to-match). frankly, 1992 wasn't a good year for anyone, which is just one of the reasons i don't look at my bat mitzvah album much. but i do have my pretty pretty portraits from the day, along with this hilarious wallet-sized family shot. i wanted to make sure you could all fully comprehend my terrible dress, which is why i didn't put up one of the pictures with the pretty/hazy filter on it. c'mon, you guys know what filter i mean, right? where everything is all soft-focus and flattering to a poor little thirteen year old girl bedecked in bright pink fake flowers? the top of that dress is stretchy white iridescent sequins, by the way.

7 comments:

Alicia K. said...

heh, can you tell i was wearing heels for the first time and wasn't very comfortable? i still mainly stick to flats.

and yes, i think it's ridiculous and embarrassing that people spend so much on what should be a religious coming-of-age sort of thing. i mean, there was a party at mine, but it wasn't anything like that. actually, the first million (or half million?) dollar bat mitzvah was held at my temple (when i was in college i think), much to the chagrin of most of the temple members. i think that gets a hearty "oy vey."

christinamerge said...

That is absolutely the cutest thing I have ever seen! I am so glad I told you about the story!!!

Alicia K. said...

hee hee! i think my white stockings are an especially classy touch. good ol' 1990s.

and thanks for telling me about that story--i really do want to see that book!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness... look how cute we were and how young.. and phillip is so short:)... and you loved that dress at the time....you guys are so beautiful!!!!

Alicia K. said...

mom! that dress was really itchy and uncomfortable. ok, maybe i did like bright pink at one time, but there's such a thing as overkill! :)

pinky pinkerson said...

you were darling!

I've been to a few very over-the-top bar/bat mitzvahs in my time, one had giant centerpieces that were soft-sculpture "rock stars" holding guitars, due to the bat mitzvah girl's fascination with Aerosmith.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, you seem to have a very well put together blog here!

Regards,
Custom Camera