Monday, April 24, 2006

2006 book 56

maile meloy's a family daughter
apparently this novel--in which a young woman grows up to write a novel that shakes up her family--is a companion to meloy's first novel (i believe the previous novel is the novel written in this one, if that makes any sense), which i haven't read yet, b/c it was checked out, but this one looked really good so i decided not to wait to read it, and i'm glad b/c i liked it a lot, and now it'll sort of be extra-interesting to go back and read the first one, which is sort of the centerpiece of this one. i really like when you read multiple books by an author and uncover other things about their fictional world and its inhabitants--i'm trying to think of examples of what i mean. david mitchell, i guess, and edward eager (some of his books feature the children of his earlier characters and some scenes are told from both perspectives in different books), but otherwise i can't think of any right now. anyway, i did enjoy this a lot and will be seeking out liars and saints.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I know what you mean. I like that too. Right now I'm reading _Mysteries of Pittsburgh_ and it is vocabulary which recurs in this and _Kavalier and Clay_. Well mostly its just the word "spleen" as in "Stop spleening me" which I had never heard before Chabon.

Alicia K. said...

i'm pretty sure i've never heard that outside of chabon, either. :)

Anonymous said...

Does 'stop spleening me' actually make any sense?

I'm just getting the mental image of somebody being beaten with a spleen.

Alicia K. said...

that is true for a number of reasons, but the fact that foer's latest book made me want to throttle someone really enhances chabon's awesomeness. HIS new book is going to be so good! i can't wait till 2007!

Elizabeth said...

Oh gosh I think you're right. I think maybe I applied it to the Mom in Kavalier and Clay.