Sunday, October 18, 2009

2009 book 218

Francine Prose's Anne Frank: The Book, The Life, The Afterlife
Prose's point in writing this book seems to be to defend Anne Frank's diary from a literary perspective--she presents plenty of compelling evidence to show that Anne considered herself a writer and meant for her diary to be read (which isn't new information, but I imagine Prose's book will reach people who didn't know that). That's all well and good, but it's only the first half of the book. Prose then goes on to recount the troubles with bringing the diary to Broadway and to film, and then briefly discusses its educational uses and people who think it's a hoax. So I guess she was going for an all-encompassing book about the diary? I'm honestly not sure. She did make me want to read a Philip Roth book, which is commendable, since I'm not really a Roth fan.

I can't grade this--it's a book about Anne Frank, for goodness' sake.

No comments: