Tuesday, July 27, 2010

2010 book 193

Maureen Johnson's Suite Scarlett
Christina mentioned this book to me--apparently the Fug Girls recommended it--and it was a nice fluffy read. Scarlett is growing up in a family that owns a small hotel in NYC, and on her fifteenth birthday, she's given responsibility for a suite in the building--and its new, very eccentric occupant. Meanwhile, she's got a crush on a guy in her brother's play, and the whole family is trying to deal with financial difficulties. I especially liked the sibling relationships here, and the New York theater stuff was fun, but the romantic subplot didn't really work for me. Still, totally a cute book and one I'll recommend to my sister.

4 comments:

Christina said...

I didn't like this one - I guess I was bound to disagree with the Fug Girls at least once! :) I just kind of thought it was boring, and that there was weird, unintentional sexual tension between the brother and the sisters. Does that make me a perv? haha!

Alicia K. said...

Welllll, my review was slightly more positive than it might have been since you recommended it and I hate offending ppl who recommend stuff. I totally didn't think there was sexual tension there though--heh.

Christina said...

I didn't exactly recommend it, but I did pass a recommendation on. I just assumed you had already read it as per usual!

There was just something weird about the way she wrote about the brother and his reaction whenever either of his sisters liked someone. I definitely didn't think it was intentional, but it struck me as odd for sure.

Alicia K. said...

Haha, fair enough!