Sunday, July 04, 2010

partially read

Today I have two books to talk about that I can't seem to finish:

David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
I've loooooved all of Mitchell's books and preordered this for my Kindle, which means I know that I've completely stalled out at just 33 percent of the way in. Seriously, this is the slowest-moving book ever, it feels like I've already read 1000 pages and nothing has happened. This Dave Eggers-penned in the NY Times claims patient readers will be rewarded, but how patient am I supposed to be? Have any of you read this yet? Is it worth plugging away?

Alyson Noel's Evermore: The Immortals
I picked up a copy of the 4th book in this series at ALA and was like, hmm, guess I should check this series out. And then a couple days later my sister texted me all "have you read this immortals series?? I love it!" (She got a free copy at a showing of Eclipse--apparently they were giving away a few different teen fantasy series--anyone else see this somewhere?) So of course I had to check it out. And there's interesting stuff here--after an accident, teen Ever has psychic powers and is visited by her dead sister. Only then a new mysterious boy comes to school and blah blah blah. I found their weird romance really boring and was way more interested in the psychic stuff, but the author is clearly pandering to the teen romance crowd (and my sister). Oh, my sister just texted that it gets better, maybe I'll read it a little more and just try and ignore the slightly creepy and not at all realistic romance.

No comments: