Thursday, November 17, 2011

2011 book 288

Y.S. Lee's The Agency: The Traitor and the Tunnel
I can't figure out why the Agency series isn't more popular--or am I the only person who likes books about an agency of girl detectives in Victorian-era England featuring a protagonist with a mysterious past? And speaking of Victorian England, the third book in the series finds Mary working undercover as a maid in Queen Victoria's palace (Victoria is one of my favorite historical royals and she is pretty awesome here, I have to say) to uncover a thief. But of course things are never that easy, and soon Mary finds herself involved in a murder case that hits close to home. Lee brings a light touch, humor, and romance to a story that could easily be over-the-top, and while things may resolve a bit too easily, I was pleased with the resolution nonetheless (and anyway, this is a YA book, things are allowed to wrap up neatly). A/A-.

__
An e-galley was provided by the publisher.

No comments: