Sunday, November 27, 2011

2011 book 300

Lauren Groff's Arcadia
Groff's first novel, Monsters of Templeton, was one of my favorite books of 2008 (she also has a book of short stories), so I was eagerly awaiting her follow-up and very pleased to find it waiting for me when I came home from Thanksgiving travel. Arcadia details the life of Bit, the first child born in a crazy hippie commune in the late 60s, from his childhood to his middle age (in what seems to be the near future). Much of his life is shaped by the commune and its politics--and by its leader's troubled daughter. Groff does a good job of fleshing out Bit's story, and her language is lovely, though I will say I felt less connected to and/or interested in him than I did in the protagonist of Monsters. The descriptions of the community, though, are stellar, and I did like the last section of the book and found the ending fitting. It's a strong sophomore effort, and I very much look forward to reading whatever Groff writes next. A-/B+

__
An ARC was provided by the publisher. The book comes out in March 2012.

No comments: